Applied research is given emphasis in the R & D division of MEI, which has more relevance to the company. The work of the R & D is MEI may be classified broadly into the following groups.
1. Indigenous design & development of products utilizing the available technologies & making maximum utilization of available materials within the country.
2. Design modifications of the products made under overseas as collaboration if customer’s needs and requirements both within & outside the country.
3. Design modifications of products in keeping with the developments of newer materials within the country and also with a view to reduce costs.
4. Import substitution of materials & components.
5. Peripheral work connected with products developed.
6. Indigenous design & development of products utilizing the available technologies and making maximum utilization of available materials in the country.